Basic Hair

Our One Week Basic Hair course is the perfect introduction to the techniques used in fashion and period hair styling.

Just as lighting and shading with make-up alters the shape of the face, a hairstyle can bring attention to a strong feature or disguise a weak one. A good hairstyle denotes period, age, and character. On the other hand, a poor hairstyle can ruin the effect of even the best make-up.

What you will learn

As well as the techniques used in period and fashion hair styling, you will also learn the skills needed to use a variety of leading hair products in the best way.

This is a practical course, so from the first, you will be using electrical equipment such as tongs, heated rollers, straighteners, and bendies. You will learn techniques such as styling long hair, French pleats, bridal styles, braiding, and plaiting.

Please note that the course fee includes use of the combs, brushes, and grips from our complete kit.

Optional week 2: Hair Setting. Hair is set to give body and fullness, temporarily changing the appearance of the hair. We teach setting in different sets, building the techniques and dexterity of the students to a high standard. This is essential for TV, film and commercial/fashion work as all hair professionals need to understand how settings like a “horse shoe set” will translate into many period and modern styles alike. Precise sectioning with wet set rollers and pins is the starting point after mapping out a style on the head. Students are then taught how to dress out a set. For students wanting to progress onto Period Wigs or Advanced Hair, this week module is essential. 

Where you will learn it

The light and airy classrooms of Delamar Academy are located within the world-famous Ealing Studios in West London. (You can learn more about Ealing Studios itself on our Get in touch page or on the Ealing Studios site itself.)

In our spacious classrooms, you will have your own personal workstation – including professional lighting and equipment. Ealing Studios is home to a number of other companies that form a real media community, with visual effects, production, editing, outside broadcast, and record companies all represented. There is also the Met Film School, which offers a first step in studio work experience for our own students when they work on graduate films.

Your next steps

There are only really two requirements for entry to this course:

  • You must be at least 18 years old;
  • If English is not your first language, you must have a good standard of spoken English (equivalent to IELTS 6).

Check out the dates of the next course in the sidebar.

Then, please call our Enrolment Manager on 0208 579 9511 or email to discuss the course or to arrange an informal interview.

A 25% deposit with a completed enrolment form will secure you a place on the course. The remainder of the course fee is due before you start the course. Those wishing to enrol for the 2 week combined Basic Hair + Setting week need to pay a 25% deposit, with the remaining 75% due before you start the course. 

Find out more about fees, payment schedules, and possible funding opportunities in the Enrolment and Fees section of our FAQ.

Our Partners




Personal Recommendation

“After graduating, Leda, Jacqui and the whole team at Delamar have continued to be a huge support to me in my new career, and have helped me to get some amazing job opportunities. I keep in touch with them all and love to go back into the school when I can.”

Lisa Cartlidge, Graduated 2013 (Cert HE in Professional Make-up Design)

Course Gallery

We are still taking enrolments for 2022 and 2023 - start your career at the busiest time in the industry
Hello. Add your message here.