The Delamar Family have been working their socks off this summer. With a booming film and TV industry, the amount of work we have provided to graduates is at an all time high. The fashion, advertising and commercial areas of the make-up industry are also exploding, possibly due to the digital age of content and eCommerce; images and video are becoming the main communication method for brands. There is so much work going around! It has never been a better time to be a make-up artist. However, there has never been a more discerning, competitive time to be a make-up artist as the standards are seriously high. We take such pride in sending our graduates off into the industry. The preference for our graduates has been consistent over the years with make-up designers, fashion photographers and film makers contacting us for artists on a daily basis. Here is a rundown of some highlights from this summer:
TV and Film:
- Oscar winning graduate Trefor Proud is always in touch with us and we could not be more happy for him having worked on Catherine Zeta Jones in Cocaine Godmother biopic to be aired by Lifetime. Catherine let Trefor make her look worlds apart from her usual flawless self with an uncharacteristic haggard look to play the part of Griselda Blanco. The other gorgeous man in the photo, Adam Philips was already a well-established hair dresser in his own right, and chose Delamar Academy to study beauty make-up. #DelamarFamily !
- Dumbo is an exciting Disney film (in the making – but it’s already on IMDB so we can tell you about it!) directed by Tim Burton and featuring Eva Green, Michael Keaton, Colin Farrell and Danny DeVito. Delamar graduates have reigned supreme in the crowd make-up room. To name but a few – Victoria Pipe, Julie Kendrick, Rosie Sinfield, Romaine Bowman, Kirsty McQueen, Anastasia Storey, Naomi Tolan, Krystal Buckley, Lucy Oswald, Sophie Coppola, Cliodhna Scully and Amanda Warbuton.
- Krystal Buckley who recently graduated this summer from the 1 year course has worked as a trainee on Mission Impossible, Johnny English 3, The Favourite and Mary Queen Of Scots. Get it girl! Krystal wrote about her time at Delamar shortly after graduating, you can read all about it here, how things have changed!
- Hollie Williams who also recently graduated this summer from the 1 year course, has been working on Dumbo with many fellow graduates mentioned above , Johnny English 3, a BBC Drama called Killing Eve and a drama called Three Seconds with Delamar Tutor Niamh Morrison. Hollie attributes her working success to the relationship she built with Delamar hair tutors Laura Solari and Wendy Topping. A lot of our tutors kick-start Delamar graduates’ careers.
- Maireade Murphy – another 1 year graduate from the summer has been working on an unreleased ITV show, a film about WW2. She is now working alongside Emma Croft again on a new and secret TV series.
- Rebecca Crang has been working as main team daily junior on ‘Hard Sun’ and ‘Three Seconds’ with Niamh Morrison. She has also been filming for 6 weeks on ‘The Souvenir’ with Siobhan Harper-Ryan who is another Delamar graduate.
- Caroline Peberdy is the trainee on the main team of ITV’s series – Endeavour.
- Katie King has been working on a comedy road-trip Feature Film called “I Love My Mum”.
- Caroline Walker has been working on an HBO series after working on a BBC drama series and E4 Stage School. Caroline started the summer working on Warner Brothers feature film Justice League, working with the A list actors on this action-packed fantasy film – you can read all about it here.
- Lucy Oswald, another very recent graduate, finished her course in the summer and we immediately put her forward as main-team trainee to BAFTA award winning designer and occasional Delamar tutor, Sallie Jaye. The rest has been history for Lucy! She has worked on Juliet Naked, Flowers 2, dailies on crowd for upcoming Tim Burton film Dumbo and now starting make-up prep for a feature film starring Dame Judi Dench called Red Joan – it’s about a WW2 spy. We are very excited to watch this, Leda is a Judi Dench fan! To find out about Lucy’s fantastic journey from training at Delamar to working with Sallie, you can read her blog post here.
- Gabor Kerekes graduated a few years ago and is now personal make-up artist to stunning lead actress Olga Kuerylenko on Johnny English 3. It is not unheard of for talented make-up artists to get snapped up as personal artists to the lead actors of a film. Talent and training will take you a long way, but we always instil the importance of having a great personality to work with balancing discreteness, cleanliness and pleasant energy – some of Gabor’s strengths.
- Graduate of the Complete Make-up Artist course in 2014, Denise Stocker, has been working as a Make-up Artist on Bohemian Rhapsody – an upcoming American-English biographical drama film portraying Queen’s rise to stardom. Amanda Warburton (Delamar Graduate and tutor) is working in crowd make-up.
- Sara Fagan, a graduate of the Advanced Complete Make-up Artist Course in 2016 has received her first credit as a make-up artist on a BBC 2 period Series series called 1917: Countdown To Revolution, with Delamar Tutor Jutta Russell. She has also worked on Channel 4 movie ‘The Truth’ starring Indira Varma (Game of thrones) and Luke Treadaway (Fortitude) Directed by BAFTA winner Dave Nath. Sara did hair and make up for Luke. This was filmed in gorgeous Bristol during the summer and is due to be released in the next month!
Fashion & Commercial
- Alexa Ravina has been globe trotting this summer with her make-up kit. She has been doing make-up for Call Of Duty on some very exciting actors (but she’s signed too many NDA’s to tell us who they are – pssht typical!), more work for FIFA on David Beckham, Rio Ferdinand and Thierry Henry, Comicon with a team of 12 assistants, weddings in Capri, Florence, St Tropez, Vegas, Bali and Dubai. Not much then Alexa!
- Anja Bont – a very recent graduate from our 22 week Advanced Complete Make-up Artist Course has been working away on many a fashion shoot, London Fashion Week for Giorgio Armani as a hair assistant backstage! Anja has done the hair and make-up on shoots for Wolf & Badger, Models1, look-books and campaigns for various designers and some editorials for very fashion-forward magazines. Watch this space Jo Frost!
- Andrew Denton graduated just over a year ago from the 22 week Advanced Complete Make-up Artist course and this summer he has been booked for celebrity shoots. He has had work published in HUF, Lucy’s, Dreamingless, Flanelle and Knots. Andrew was main team trainee for Pitch Battle designed by Jo Jenkins, working on celebrities and singers. Andrew has also done the hair and make-up on model Thom Evans for his last campaign. You can read all about Andrew Denton’s entertaining anecdotes about working with models here.
- Fiona Neal has continued to be first assistant for Caroline Barnes, working a lot with Pixie Lott, assisting at London Fashion week with top Delamar graduate Kitty Noofah, and an upcoming swimwear brand campaign. Fiona also had a #TBT pinch-me moment when doing the make-up for S Club 7’s Hannah Spearritt. If you are over the age of 25 then you know about S Club 7!
- Established long-time Delamar Graduate, Jo Frost has been working in Cannes with her personal client Jess Glynne, making her look gorgeous at the Cannes Film Festival and numerous Editorial’s for DANSK Magazine.
- Mena Pyne has done the make-up for the Marks & Spencer’s, plus a selection of SS18 fashion brand campaigns. Well done Mena!
- Katie King has done the make-up for advertising campaigns for Clarks, Guinness and Treatwell.
- We had a huge team of Delamar Graduates working at London Fashion Week on shows from Armani to smaller up-and-coming designers.
- Mollie Merrifield has worked on features for Hairstyle Magazine and assisted top fashion make-up artist Sonya Miro, famous for her face chart art.
- Marta Bagnoli has worked on a Kuwait Airlines shoot.
- Superstar graduate and top fashion make-up artist Lauren Whitworth who now lives over the pond in NYC has done the make-up for a Peter Thomas Roth ad campaign!
- Recent Delamar Graduate whose talent and creativity really impressed the tutors while she was here last year, Nadja Scalzi has been immersed in Editorial work, jewellery campaigns for Italian designer Llabo, a couple of music videos for rising stars and working with fashion photographers Beatrice Capone, Cinsy Tam and Daniele Immortal Rippa. She has also done the make-up for a look-book and editorial for Vintage Troussard – a bridal designer with the photographer Alexandria Hall. Nadja has been producing clown artwork and has been commissioned to paint more!
- Sara Fagan was make-up assistant on a Moonpig advert, assisting established make-up artist Ang Oxley Evans. We have seen it loads on TV! She has also done the make-up for a Lucozade advert and for promotional images for a fitness company in South Kensington.
- Krystal Buckley who recently graduated this summer from the 1-year course, has been very busy working on the Crazy For You Tour with Caroline Flack, Kinky Boots, Aladdin and Annie as a contracted wig technician. She has ALSO been busy in the world of film (see above).
- Trusha Desai has secured a freelance position at the Royal Opera House, a dream come true for Trusha – a graduate of ours who did the one year course and specialised in advanced hair. This job could not have gone to a more deserving graduate.
- Hollie Williams has worked for a week on School Of Rock with Delamar tutor Wendy Topping.
- Mia Laroque-Macbeth has started working at Saddlers Wells looking after the wigs for Rambert Ballet Company, she has applied tattoos to the Scottish National Ballet and worked at Sarah Weatherburn’s facial hair/ wigs studio producing pieces for the industry. Mia was very fortunate to work on Don Giovanni at the Peacock Theatre and Bugsy Malone with other Delamar graduate Maxine Tiara at the Wimbledon Theatre.
- Heather Ross and Ella Burton have continued to work on very highly popular musical Wicked.
- Jessica Bryson and Esme Sjostedt have started working in The Wig Store – a brilliant way to improve their wig skills and establish a regular income.
- Alice Percival is now a swing on The Book Of Mormon – this is basically someone who covers absences, a fantastic way to keep your skills up and keep a foot-in the industry without committing to a long contract.
- Caroline O’Connor is Head Of Department at the Royal Opera House.
- Longtime Delamar graduate Julie Burnett is Head Of Wig Department of ‘Annie The Musical’ – she interviewed Krystal Buckley for her new role.
- Rebecca Kempton is Wig Mistress for Mamma Mia The Musical tour.
- Harriet Rogers is head of wigs at Northern Ballet.
- Recent graduate Maxine Tiara has worked on musicals at Sadlers Wells – a popular destination for Delamar Graduates!
This is a very condensed version of a HUGE summer for the #DelamarFamily. The graduates are testimony to the exciting and varied careers enjoyed by those who have trained here. If you are a prospective member of the Delamar Family, please take a look at our courses and book your tour here.